TWITTER LIVE UPDATES

    Follow Me on Twitter

    Tuesday, June 03, 2008

    Wei, You OK or Not?

    If anyone of you have been following the updates of my post for the last few years you will realize that (I realized it too) there are some Manglish words usage over here in my blog. Well, I don't care coz I'm living in Malaysia so what's wrong I use Manglish to blog. What is Manglish? Manglish or Singlish is the combination of English words with Chinese and Malay words. Don't think it is easy to learn! Tell you, Manglish is very hard to learn because it needs pretty d*** good words in English, Mandarin and Malay. Without these three languages, you might probably need to practise and do some exercises more if you want to improve your Manglish.

    Some Important Manglish words

    lah - similar to 'of course'. Frequently used at the end of sentences and usually ends with an exclamation mark (!) E.g. He's the one who gave it to me lah!

    nah
    - Used when giving something to another person, often in a rude or impolite way. E.g. Nah, take it!

    meh
    - Used when asking questions, especially when a person is skeptical of something. E.g. Aik? You don't have meh?

    liao - Means "already". E.g. I eat liao.

    ah - Used when asking a genuine question. Besides that, some people use it when referring to a subject before making a (usually negative) comment. E.g Why he talk like that ar?, This boy ar, so naughty!

    lor - Used to explain something. E.g. Like that lorr...

    one - Used as an emphasis at the end of a sentence. It is believed to derive from the Chinese way of suffixing "的" at sentences. E.g. Why he is so like that one?

    what
    - The word 'what' is often used as an exclamation mark, not just to ask a question. E.g. Just go. She's OK, what!

    dy
    - Means already.

    got
    - Used as a literal translation from the Malay word 'ada'. E.g. You got or not?


    Alright, that's a few very very important words you have to know if you want to improve your Manglish. (No certificate will be given) Still don't know how to use it? Let me give you some example. Taking Mok and Poji as my actor...

    Loey: Mok, can borrow your car or not?


    Mok: Take
    lah. (Yes, you can)

    Loey: Sure or not? (I really can borrow your car?)


    Mok: Sure one
    lah! (Of course) Where you want to go?

    Loey: I want to buy something
    lah. I got not enough pen for tomorrow's test. No ink liao lor... (Running out of ink) Poji gave me one, but not enough.

    Mok:
    Walao eh! (OMG!) Want so many for what?! (Why do you need so many?)

    Loey: Just in case something happen
    maa... Don't ask a lot lah! Give me your car key. (Can I have your car key now?)

    Mok:
    Nah, take it. (Please, take it) But be careful arr... Poji drove my car out, when he GOSTAN (reverse) the car, he knocked my car's plate number, almost break dy.

    Loey:
    Wah, got like that one also arrr? Why he like that one?

    Mok: I don't know
    lorr....

    Loey: OK lah. I go first.



    After coming back for shop, met Poji.


    Loey: Wahhh Poji!

    Poji: What?


    Loey: You almost break Mok's car's plate number
    ar?

    Poji: I cannot see
    what! (I can't see the back view) Wei, where you go just now?

    Loey: Buy pen
    laa..

    Poji: Then, got or not? (Did you buy any?)


    Loey: No lorr...
    No stock! (Out or order)

    Poji:
    Haha!!! (Pity you)

    Loey:
    C*b** laa you!!! (It's OK!)

    3 comments:

    Zaini said...

    ..akuk jugak yg jadik mangsak nya..aplah nasib kuk.. -___-

    Loey said...

    wat to do? u got that special contrast... hahaha... like the green flouressence colour one... wakaka

    Anonymous said...

    aku baru perasan.. namaku juga telah menjadi mangsa.....